Sunday, May 1, 2011

More evidences of God's providence


World Series ticket
Every once in awhile, we get chances to treat other people right.  In my case, today, it was about treating a father and son right.

More than that, we recognized how the Lord Himself sovereignly places people and circumstances together for a testimony of His amazing faithful providence.
Perry bobblehead

I went to a "fan go round" at Cheney Stadium to see some of my friends and to get an autograph on a Gaylord Perry bobble-head.  I was standing in a long line and started talking with Eric and his son Karl.

The Lord had other, greater plans, again. There were a series of "God incidences," not coincidences.

They had a ticket and program for the  Game 5 World Series perfect game by Yankee Don Larsen over the Brooklyn Dodgers on October 8, 1956.

Larsen finished his baseball career in 1968 with six games for the Tacoma Tugs and was at "the fan go round" as a special guest and to sign memorabilia along with Perry.


Don Larsen
Eric and Karl were getting their autograph and hustling back over to Columbia Junior High in Fife where Karl was playing in a weekend select baseball tournament.
Gaylord Perry

They got their autograph and quickly skedaddled for their game at Columbia.  We didn't say good-bye and I didn't even see them leave.  All of a sudden, another man discovered the ticket on the floor less than ten feet from me.  I immediately saw what it was because Eric showed it to me so I told the other man who briefly gave it to me.

At that point, I knew where Eric and Karl were planning to be but I didn't even know their names.  My credibility wasn't very strong.  The man who discovered it graciously took the ticket back saying he was afraid it might be sold on-line. 

I might not have seen this man find the ticket nor where Eric and Karl were on this beautiful Sunday afternoon.  He did the right thing, too, and called the Rainiers personnel.

I got my signature and skedaddled myself to Columbia to locate Eric and Karl.  

They discovered the ticket was missing shortly after arriving at the parking lot at Columbia and had no idea where to look. They were pretty shook up, as we can all imagine. 

Hopefully, Eric will be able to connect with the Rainiers front office Monday and arrange to recover his autographed World Series ticket.  

I prayed with Eric before I came home, just thanking God for His remarkable faithfulness and providence.

No comments: