Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dear friends,
It has been a very, very long time since I have written you about my work you so faithfully support with the Prisoners for Christ Outreach Ministries. I am serving daily at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent, on Tuesday evenings at the Echo Glen Juvenile Detention Facility near Issaquah, and occasional Saturdays at the Monroe Corrections Center. I also serve as the President of the Chaplaincy Advisory Group, CAG, at the RJC.
In September, I will be participating in a CAG-sponsored volunteer appreciation dinner at the Kent Senior Center. In early October, I will be leading a PFCOM trip to several sites in Eastern Washington. On another note, Katharine and I will be enjoying our 13th season doing statistics and handling media calling for the Kentridge Chargers football team.
I want to share with you about Andrew, 34, who received Christ for salvation three months ago. He was hiding from a life of alcohol and domestic violence when he came to the RJC. It was all blown out of proportion and when the truth was known he could go home. It was all going to come out. Another inmate shared with me he knew Andrew was not telling me everything. That is very common. I don't ask an inmate why he is there. I just want to meet him where he is at and share the saving and restoring truth from the Bible. Andrew shared much more of the story in our next session. He has grown nearly daily. Now, he finds himself reading the Scriptures with and encouraging others. He invites men to come with him so I can share the Romans Road to Salvation with him. The Lord has given him a beaming smile.
I also want to share with you about Robert, 18, who also received Christ for salvation just last week when Andrew brought him in to meet with me. Robert has lived an openly rebellious life since he was 12, when he stopped reading or doing anything constructive with school. He has been in and out of juvenile detention. When he came in, he humbly said, "I need help..I need help." Robert had the courage to have me call his parents because he wants to make things right with them. They don't believe him, yet. He has been causing them trouble and embarrassment for a long time. They need Jesus, too. Robert is reading with Andrew every day and is making great progress. How will Robert's life be really changed when he is released?
Would you pray for him?
Thank you for your very faithful support! I am in the process of contacting churches and other individuals to increase my support base, this fall. I am also going to be substitute teaching in the Tahoma School District.
This fall, Andy continues to work as a mechanic at Bowen Scarff in Kent, Peter begins Green River Community College, and Jon will be heading to Kentlake High School. Katharine is still working at the Covington Library and is back working on her novel.




No comments: