Wednesday, February 3, 2010

the perfect scam

In response to my most recent blog about Aaron, a reader and former inmate responded  in such an excellent way, I wanted to pass it on.  In fact, I am using it when I share about "deeds in keeping with repentance."

"but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance."
Acts 26:20

Here is what my reader wrote: 
I saw hundreds in prison like Aaron.  The most common phenomenon in prison (besides violence) is prisoners who become avid Christians, then fall away soon after.  

What happens is this:  
They walk around with a big, invisible box containing their problems.  Everything they do and everyone they meet is an opportunity to give their problems to somebody else so they don't have to confront them.  

A prisoner hears that "Jesus will take up your burden", and thinks this is the perfect scam.  All he needs to do is give his problems to God and he can just walk away.  He finds out, of course, that Jesus doesn't take responsibility for your problems; He offers the strength to deal with them.  The last thing the prisoner wants is to deal with his own issues, so he dumps Christianity as a waste of time and begins looking for another patsy.  

The moral?  
True rehabilitation begins and ends with taking responsibility.  Christianity can be a huge help, but the prisoner must step up. 

Of all the prisoners I knew during my stay in the Penitentiary system, the only ones who succeeded were those who took concrete, quantifiable steps to face what they had done: apologized, tried to make restitution, got a job, volunteered, and so forth.  

 When I meet an ex-con who tells me he's a man of Faith, I always ask him:  
"What exactly are you doing to repay for your crime and to better yourself?" 

Going to Church means nothing - it's only an empty exercise without commitment.  If you don't live your faith then you really don't have any.

2 comments:

WayneO said...

The victims of an inmate's crimes want to see justice and repentance... those are the key events that bring closure and peace to all parties. Both require 3 acts of agreement:
1) Agreement and statement that you did the crime, a CONFESSION.
2) Agreement that you are going to show RESTITUTION for damages.
3) Agreement that you will do what you say and be ACCOUNTABLE, so that everyone can trust you again.

When I see an inmate doing these things, I go with him! God knows that it is the same way that I renew trust with Him after I have made damage with my sin. The relieving part is that these 3 vital steps are done under AGREEMENT.
Wayne Orendorff

DSJulian said...

Absolutely right Wayne! It is too easy to become a Christian while inside, and all too often our sympathetic hearts lead us off the cliff to becoming enablers. And it is heartbreaking to go and see someone we have befriended end up back inside because we weren't demanding enough...