Wednesday, April 28, 2010

to live is Christ

 Greg Von Tobel, the president of Prisoners for Christ, miraculously survived an automobile accident, Saturday afternoon.  Here is his account as he recalls what unfolded.

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.  I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.  But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.   
Philippians 1:21-26

Here is a short synopsis of what I remember of Saturday.

On Saturday April 24, PFC was having its twice-yearly annual prison volunteer training session.  I left after the lunch break to go to Duvall and had planned on going back when the conference ended before 4pm.

I don’t remember much about the accident.  I do remember seconds before as I slammed head on into an immovable hill.  I remember I couldn’t move, turn the wheel,  break or slow down, seconds before impact. This 5 seconds of the whole ordeal is so totally weird and what I am struggling with the most, trying to process the slowness of time. I thought to myself this will be easy as I thought I was going so slow until I blasted into the side of the hill. Everything went black and as I awoke I could feel blood coming down my face. 

Some eyewitnesses said I sped up, probably thinking my foot was on the break when it was on the accelerator. 

All this was after I had side swiped a car throwing her into an adjacent ditch and crossed over one lane of traffic. The accident happened around 1:15 pm on route 203 inside the city limits of Duvall.

I remember the firemen and the paramedics that extricated me out of the van. They were phenomenally gentle and kind-hearted. They cut my clothes off and placed me on “The Board”.  I would grow to hate the “the Board” as I was on it for almost 2 hours. The medics asked me what hospital I wanted to go to and I said Evergreen.  

A few minutes later in the ambulance they made a judgment call and had a change of plans. They were going to drive me pass two hospitals straight to Harborview.  The word Harborview is like the word cancer.  When those words pertain to you, eternity stops.  I thought to myself, “Wow, I must be hurt worse than I had thought.”  Then I wondered how Rhonda and Ashley would react to the word "Harborview."

I arrived at Harborview about 2:30ish. I was whisked off to a room with bright lights and many people asking me questions, probing, poking, and sticking me.  There were many people in the room, I would say 10 plus.  I just remember the bright lights.

They stabilized me and then whisked me off to the CAT scan and x-rays.  The people in these departments were also extremely friendly and very kind-hearted also.  After they were done they whisked me back to the trauma room and this time it was stark empty, void of people.  Very weird. I heard over the low intercom that there were two air-vac copters less than 5 minutes away. 

Then friends and family started visiting me which made time go by ever so much quickly. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! It made the difference.  
 5 hours after entering Harborview I was now being wheeled out by my friend Bob Jordan and then walking out on my own asking myself what just happened. I was half hoping they would keep me overnight as I was in so much pain in my chest where I had hit the steering wheel.  The slightest sneeze now sends me into extreme pain and facial contortions. They say I have a bruised rib.

From the time that they extricated me from the car I was really at peace. There were several moments of anxiousness when I heard the word Harborview. 

Once I got a grip on that I was totally at peace. I did wonder once, if April 24 would be the day that I would check out of this body suit and meet Jesus face to face. To live is Christ, to die is gain.

No comments: