Thursday, June 17, 2010

Falling in love with Jesus

Over the past couple of months, the Lord has taken me on an incredible journey, or real experience, in growing deeper with Him.  It started back in April with a really remarkable intercessory prayer time for Greg Von Tobel when I experienced the very real presence of God as we prayed in the hallway at our Prisoners for Christ University for Greg's deliverance.

My Bible reading is rich and rewarding especially as I read through five Psalms daily.

I read "The glory of Christ," by Puritan John Owen, and "Signs of the Spirit," (an interpretative reflection on "Religious Affections," by Jonathan Edwards) by Sam Storms.  During this ongoing experience, I sense His presence in terms of virtually hearing His voice and seeing Him.

I am now in the midst of "Pleasures evermore," by Sam Storms, and George Marsden's biography on Jonathan Edwards.

Falling in love with Jesus
 "I want to be attuned to God's heart, to be of one mind, one spirit, one disposition with Him. If this occurs, it will only occur as the fruit of fascination with all that God is in Himself and all that He is for me in Jesus. The ability to walk with consistency in the things you know please God ultimately will only be overcome when your heart, soul, mind, spirit, and will are captivated by the majesty, mercy, splendor, beauty, and magnificence of who God is and what He has and will do for you in Jesus," Sam Storms writes.

"I must confess that I have ransacked the dictionary for words to describe what I have in mind. Here is what I mean by falling in love with Jesus. I, you, we were made to be enchanted, enamored, and engrossed with God; enthralled, enraptured, and entranced with God; enravished, excited, and enticed by God; astonished, amazed, and awed by God; astounded, absorbed, and agog with God; beguiled and bedazzled; startled and staggered; smitten and stunned; stupefied and spellbound; charmed and consumed; thrilled and thunderstruck; obsessed and preoccupied; intrigued and impassioned; overwhelmed and overwrought; gripped and rapt; enthused and electrified; tantalized, mesmerized, and monopolized; fascinated, captivated, and exhilarated by God; intoxicated and infatuated with God!"

Sam concludes, "Does that sound like your life? Do you want it to? Do you realize how difficult it would be to sin if this were true of you? This is what God made you for. There is an eradicable, inescapable impulse in your spirit to experience the fullness of God in precisely this way and God put it there!"

No comments: