Monday, March 7, 2011

From a crossword puzzle to stand before the Cross

Last week, Josh asked me if we could send him a crossword puzzle.  I told him to send a request and then asked if he would like to sit down a talk some with me.  He agreed as he was open.
Regional Justice Center

Josh, 21, said he was a heavy drug user, believed in a higher power, and is a Christian.

I asked him to share with me what he thought being a Christian means, as I often do when guys tell me that.  Some do know the Scriptures and their answers are right-on.  Josh said he keeps the 10 commandments and tries to live a good life toward other people...and treats others like he wants to be treated.  Hmmmm

But, you are in jail, Josh...I said.  What is going on?  I asked again if that is what he thinks being a Christian is and if I could share some verses with him.  He agreed.

He went out and got a New International Version Bible and he came right back. We went through the 10 Commandments, one by one, through Exodus 20. We agreed neither he nor I are able on our own to keep them.  He does honor his parents so I asked if he respected his parents relating to his drug use.  No.  So, 0 for 10.

I walked with him through the Romans Road that I use--1:16, 3:10-12, 3: 21-24, 4:4-5, 6:23, 5:6-8, 10:11-13, and 1 John 5:11-12.


His eyes got bigger and he was crying in the middle.  He said, "I don't know any of this. This is just amazing."

 I went on into John, the disciple Jesus loved--John 3:16, and he had never heard that;  4:13-15, about living water and asking for it, and 5:24, passing out of death into life; Luke 24:46-48, Acts 2:37-38 and 26:20, about repentance; and Revelation 22:17, the Spirit and the bride (that's me) invite him to COME.

Can all this be for me, he asked.  Yes, it can be, and I believe it is, right now, Josh!

I shared with him how to seek God, to call upon Jesus for salvation.  We take the power of God for salvation, we rest on His righteousness for all and on all--Josh--to believe for eternal life.  He started praying with me as I shared a simple model.  I didn't ask him.  He started doing it. He was in tears.

The next day I brought Ray Pritchard's great little book, "An anchor for tje soul."  I'll follow-up, this week.

1 comment:

Aaron and Heather said...

Oh, wow, Mark! Precious moments like this when you are reminded and encouraged about why you do what you do! What an honor...
Heather