Friday, May 15, 2009

pleasing worship

I've been reading a great book by Sam Storms on Colossians that is deepening my walk with the Lord and keeping me focused in a spirit of worship through a sermon series by Pastor Gary in our home church. Sam writes on worship in "More Precious Than Gold," 50 Daily Meditations on the Psalms (Crossway Books: Wheaton, IL 2009), 180-184.

Sam reports how a man once told him, undoubtedly sincerely, that he was uncomfortable with the way Sam worshiped.

Sam’s reply? “I’m certainly open to correction, and I’m sorry you were offended, but I’m not particularly concerned with what puts you at ease. When the day comes that you are the object of my praise and adoration, I’ll pay a bit more attention to what makes you feel comfortable. Until then, I’m primarily concerned about what pleases God.”

This week, I've enjoyed focusing several of the men in Edward Unit on what it means to be genuinely changed. What does it look like to be saved? We used 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he IS a new creation, the old things passed away, behold, new things have come." I am set free to worship Him because He has worked, is working, and will work His supernatural, miraculous change in me. I AM a new creation because He saved me. I am under new management, now, because I am in Christ, I belong to Him.

Sam wisely shares 10 guidelines for the kind of worship that pleases God:

Worship that pleases God, then, is:

(1) perpetual and constant (Psalm 92:2)

(2) instrumental (Psalm 150)

(3) joyful (Psalm 92:4)

(4) celebrates His greatness (Psalm 92:5)

(5) loud and logical . . . worship entails noisy songs.

(6) physical (Psalm 95:6)

(7) fresh and creative (Psalm 33:3, 40:3, 96:1, 98:1, 144:9, 149:1)

(8) public (Psalm 96:3)

(9) ascribes glory to His name.

(10) joins creation to celebrate His goodness. (Psalm 96:11-13a).

2 comments:

Brent and Carol said...

Sounds like a great book. Lot's of good insight and seems like you are having a great time at the RJC just like I am at Sno. Co. Jail. Blessings, Brent

WayneO said...

Thank you for compiling the list of factors that make up the worship experience. I have friends, of course, that play the music of worship; but others worship in their prayers with you, over the phone, and others even in their greetings during the church assemblies. How creative of them to ascribe glory, honor, and deep value to the character and presence of the Most High!