Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The evil hunter

 As we reflect now on the recent deaths of police officers in Lakewood and Seattle, we also observe the unfolding accusations around the life of Tiger Woods that started just outside his home.  I see direct connection to my own life and the deceiving and evil nature of sin.  I could be enveloped in public embarrassment, as well.

I think of the men I serve at the Regional Justice Center in Kent and other locations.  I am providing a portion of a column by Pastor and Speaker CJ Mahaney that helped focus my heart on what is swirling around.  Every time I read the name Tiger, I insert my own name.  How about you?

Deception is part of sin's DNA. Sin lies to us. It seeks to convince us that sin brings only pleasure, that it carries no consequences, and that no one will discover it. Sin works hard to make us forget that character, conduct, and consequences are interconnected. And when we neglect this relationship--when we think our sins will not be discovered--we ultimately mock God.








Sin Hunts
We've all experienced it: Sin lies to us. We take the bait. And then sin begins to hunt us.
One commentator on Proverbs articulated this truth like this: "The irony of a life of rebellion is that we begin by pursuing sin...and end up being pursued by it!....You can 'be sure your sin will find you out' (Num. 32:23...)."* In other words, sin comes back to hunt us.

In light of this fact, sin is an enemy Tiger can't manage. He can't shape this story like he does a long iron on a par 5. Tiger doesn't need a publicity facelift; Tiger needs a Savior. Just like me. And just like you. And if by God's grace he repents and trusts in the person and work of Christ, Tiger will experience the fruit of God's promise that "whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy." (Proverbs 28:13).

Conclusion
Tiger cannot intimidate this enemy like he can Pebble Beach or any of the field of professional golfers. And there is no privacy he can claim from this enemy, regardless of his resolve, his silence, or the name painted on his yacht. It's likely Tiger only perceives the press hunting him out of a vain "curiosity about public figures." But Tiger is being hunted and hounded by a far greater foe: the consequences of his sin.

And this story should humble and sober us. It should make us ask: 
  • Are there any so-called "secret sins" in my life? 
  • Is there anything I have done that I hope nobody discovers? 
  • Is there anything right now in my life that I should confess to God and the appropriate individuals?

And this should leave us more amazed by grace because there, but for the grace of God, go I.
This article originally appeared on Sovereign Grace Ministries Blog.

No comments: