Friday, February 11, 2011

Bring the greatest news ever amidst broken lives

Memorial for Jayme Biendl
With Monroe Corrections Officer Jayme Biendl memorial service over this week, I want to briefly revisit my string of posts about violence in the jails and prisons.  

It was brought to my attention that what I wrote in my most recent blog might be perceived to downplay the impact of her death. Perhaps, my blog posts took a particular side when nerves are still raw from her tragic death.  While I could have come across in that way in my posts, that response would be a far cry from my intentions.  

Talking about broader issues of violence in the jail and prison systems might have be seen as too soon after the completed memorial in Monroe and Everett and the difficult events at the RJC in January in which several officers were injured.  

I stand strongly against evil regardless of status of individuals in our corrections facilities.  I am privileged to work shoulder-to-shoulder with every jail and prison staff worker, administrator, and officer; and am sent by the Lord to reach incarcerated men in the institutions with the love of Jesus.

It does not matter if the uniforms are black, blue, red, orange, white, or striped.
 
I serve daily with Prisoners for Christ Outreach Ministries at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center, the King County Jail in Kent, prisons around the state and in Oregon, and in international missions.   

Our PFC mission is to reach "the least of the least" who are incarcerated in our jails and prisons with the Luke 19:10 message, "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save the lost." 

I strongly support Christ's message to all who are oppressed, imprisoned, or captive. That mission is on both sides of the bars, doors, and windows.

No comments: