Friday, February 18, 2011

one meeting in the Gospel of John

My work at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent focuses on winning men to Christ and building faithful ones up to teach others right within the units where they are serving time. Often, we get one chance to meet with an inmate.  So, the Gospel of John is an awesome place to build a solid foundation.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." John 5:24

The RJC holds men and women while they await court proceedings.  They could be held in custody for longer than one year as legal actions develop or are continued. The inmates are sometimes transferred between the downtown Seattle and Kent jail sites.  If their charges allow for less than one year of time to be served, they may be assigned to finish at either jail site.

Bridge illustration
Recently, I met with Jason who was struggling with grief over the passing of his sister and mother.  He was obviously distressed so I just asked him to sit down and talk with me for awhile.  As he shared his family story with me, he calmed down so I asked about his spiritual or church background.  He never went to church nor read a Bible.

He admitted never considering God in his life so I asked if I could share some Scripture with him.  The Lord led me to introduce Jason to Jesus Christ through the gospel of John and to show him how he might have a forever friendship with Him.  We read through John 1:12-13, 3:16, 4:13-15, 5:24, and 14:6.

Jason wanted Jesus forever.  We shared how he could know Jesus forever, we prayed together, and I left him to read John 10, 14, and 15.

I may never know what happened with Jason as he was released the next morning. I had one meeting and he was gone.  What really happened?  I presented the gospel.  Jason responded and is in God's hands forever.

No comments: