Friday, August 12, 2011

Jim and Carol from Nebraska

Carol and Katharine at the Seattle Aquarium
Even before Katharine and I were married back on July 10, 1982, Jim and Carol started visiting us nearly annually from their various homes in Nebraska.  

Jim is one of Katharine's two older brothers and Carol is his wife.  Both have served for 37 years in United Methodist churches and administrative positions in Nebraska.

                                       
                                                  Jim and Carol on vacation
Jim and Katharine at Waterway Museum
Jim and Carol also tour to visit family members in Portland and west Spokane.  This time, we visited a museum on the Tacoma waterway and the Seattle Aquarium.  We eat out and enjoy Cutters Point drinks in Covington.  We started our relationship when Katharine and the Brewer family were living in Parkland and spending time on their family property on Oakland Bay in Shelton.


                                                 

Tyrone and Miguel at the MRJC
So, contacts at the Maleng Regional Justice Center remain very productive and I'll be returning to a full-time routine again, next week.  Tyrone should be starting his trial soon.  He has made tremendous strides since we began meeting in 2009.

Tyrone was influential to introduce Miguel to receive Christ and begin studying the Bible.  He actually said if he lost his trial case, he would begin seeking after the Lord.  That was an unusual response.  Usually we hear "jail faith type things something like "if I get out of jail... or win or get a favorable ruling... because I am innocent of these charges even though I did other things... and He gives me another chance, I'll respond to God."  

Oh yes, the Lord can use these kinds of manipulation-soaked offerings to draw men to Himself.  Occasionally, we see genuine transformation with all these trappings but not very often and these men must be warned God is not a maker of deals.  He wants men who will seek Him for who He is with all their hearts.
 
                                                  Hope and faithfulness in Lamentations
I am journeying into Lamentations, this week.  John Calvin has rich commentary on chapter 3.  Verses 17-24 lead into the often quoted and comforting verses 22-23.  Notice the sequence about fleshly and eternal hope in verses 18,21-24.  Great is Thy faithfulness! 

17 my soul is bereft of peace; I have forgotten what happiness is;
18 so I say, “My endurance has perished; so has my hope from the Lord.”

19 Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall!
20 My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me.
21 But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope:

22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,“therefore I will hope in him.

I don't often turn to Lamentations for much of anything. It's a weeping look at Jerusalem after deportation to Babylon.  As I read through the Bible most years, I let the verses 22-23 stand alone.  Jeremiah's words are ever more powerful and are reaching deep.  John Calvin is more than a challenging theologian.  He was a caring pastor, as well. When all real hope in this world is close to lost or more concentrated as completely drained, the Lord's very character and promises shine as He faithfully draws us to Himself for comfort and strength.

Miguel took some significant steps but continues to attend Friday Muslim services where he can sit in the chairs, watch the services, and learn about their religion.  Yes, that is very frustrating after we've shared about Jesus Christ.  Jesus is the Ruling Master of His harvest so we share with Miguel as much as possible before he leaves for his prison journey.

                                                       Cameron and the Allen family on the road
Saturday, I am invited to Stanwood to visit Cameron and his family.  Cameron completed a year-long regeneration stay at Standing Stones in Wapato.  He lives in Arlington.  On the way home, I'll stop by to visit with Travis, Angie, Thad, and Derek Allen around their housewarming open house in Lynnwood.  Travis, Thad, and I remain in solid contact from our time together and Faith Church in Kent

                                            Robbi and Unchained in Purdy
Mission Creek
On Sunday, I am accompanying the band "Unchained" as they provide a Prisoners for Christ worship concert and message at Mission Creek Washington Corrections Center for Women in Purdy to pray, support, and listen.  This will be my first trip to Mission Creek.   

I enjoy weekly fellowship with Geoff White, the band leader, and have shared some with Homer Haynes, one of the lead singers.  From our home church, Faith Baptist in Kent, Robbi Baskin began playing the keyboard and singing and Bob Steen occasionally plays percussion with Unchained.

No comments: