Friday, August 26, 2011

Anybody and everybody who calls

"My relationship with Jesus is so much stronger," Will wrote, "and I know that with You, and with Him on my side anything is possible.  I could go on and on but You know how I feel God."

Will is 17 years-old and gave me permission to use his real name.  He is incarcerated as a minor at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent for adult inmates.  Earlier this week, I met him briefly with others.  Jon, another inmate, suggested I meet with Will because he was really reading his Bible and was getting it.

Will and I read together a quote about Joel 2:32 in Romans 10:13 and placing our burden on the Lord from Charles Spurgeon.

"With Him I have His royal promise: "I will be saved."  And with Him I never need to ask if I may call on Him or not, for the word "everyone" is all-encompassing.  It includes me and means anybody and everybody who calls upon His name. Therefore I will trust in this verse and will immediately call on the glorious LORD who has made such a great promise."
                                                  Steps of salvation
RJC in Kent
We met Thursday when I went over my "Steps to salvation--the greatest news you've ever heard," worksheet.  I start with an adapted walk through the Romans Road: Romans 1:16-17; 3:10-11, 21-24; 6:23; 4:4-5, 5:6-8; 8:1, 10:8-13.  Next, we had time to work through "salvation is through Jesus Christ alone": John 14:6, Acts 4:12.  There is a third section on assured repentance and salvation he finished on his own, later.

In each verse, we looked at how it applies to him and really the greatest news he has ever heard.

Will attended an alternative school after things were not working out in his regular high school in the area.  Being incarcerated as a juvenile in an adult facility means the charges are strong with a felony, most often. Despite his struggles in school, he is a very good reader and clearly comprehends the material.  He has received biblical instruction, as you will see in his leeter to the Lord, below.  He was fully engaged as we worked through the Bible texts.  

"I really want to get this," Will said.  

I suggested he complete the study on salvation through Christ with Acts 16:30-31, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, 2 Corinthians 6:1-3, 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10, 1 Timothy 2:5-6, and 1 John 5:11-13 and the section on repentance on Luke 15:7 and 10, Luke 24:46-48, and Acts 2:37-38, 3:19-20, 5:31-32, 17:30-31, and 26:20.
                                          Finishing the worksheet
Many adults don't finish the readings in two or three weeks.  I also invited him to write a letter to Jesus in his own words about calling on Him to be saved or whatever was on his heart.  He told me it would be ready on Friday, the next day. 

When I came in about 3 pm,  he asked the unit officer to get his paper and Bible in his unit.  Back in the unit multipurpose room, he showed me his completed work.  We first went through 1 John 5:11-13 and Acts 2:38.  We talked it through and Will wrote, "I have the Son so I have eternal life.  I am confident that I have life because of Jesus," from 1 John; and "the old Will died and Will was raised following Jesus Christ."

                                 Will's prayer

"I want to start by saying thank you not only for sacrificing your one and only Son for us humans and our sins but also for the heart, mind, soul, and the spirit of the Jesus Christ that sits in us.  Some people choose to try to live their lives filled with sins.  But you know, and now I do too that that is not the way to go.

"I really had it bad before I got interested in reading and studying Your word.  Once I did, it really opened my eyes and made me see things a lot clearer now and turn my life in a complete 180 and I love it.  Thank You for bringing me to this place  I would have to say  because if You hadn't I probly of got this oppertunity or chance to change.  Now that I've changed I feel a lot better about life knowing that You have a place for me in your eternal kingdom  just waiting for me and I want that spot more than anything.

"My relationship with Jesus is so much stronger and I know that with You  and Him on my side anything is possible.  I could go on and on but You know how I feel God so I'll just end this letter by saying thank you again for everything GOD.  It all means so much to me.  I appreciate life a lot more  in a better perspective.  thank you and I love You with all my heart. Amen."












No comments: