Wednesday, October 5, 2011

10,000 hours to invest

When I was a little boy, my Dad tried to interest me in working with him in his garage woodshop in Boulevard Park near South Seattle.  He loved that shop and spent endless hours after work building and painting.

Over the years, he came home from his job an an industrial engineer manager at Boeing, changed clothes, talked to Mom, and headed straight to the basement until dinner was ready.  Often, he would head right back downstairs after dinner with his lifetime friend, Kenny.

He loved woodworking and really wanted me to enjoy it, too.  On that day when Dad tried to get me into the shop, Mom and Dad got me bundled up in a coat and we headed for the garage.  They were really excited because there is a picture of me out in the shop smiling with my gray-speckled coat and glasses.  

I know I wanted it to be a great day.

He had me around some kind of a saw within several minutes.  Despite his caring protection, I cut one of my fingers on my right hand. Everything changed in that moment.  It wasn't a big cut but that was the end of the shop experience for me. 

I never took industrial arts nor shop in school.  I spent many hours watching and talking with Dad later in the shop in Federal Way but it was all "hands off," by my choice.  I wanted to throw and catch whatever sports season it was, coach, read The Sporting News and study my Bible.

Many people are frustrated with embarrassment after they fail at an activity for the first time or first couple of times so they give up.  Someone might remember falling down while being introduced to skiing or struggling with a new version of software at home or at work. 

Macolm Gladwell, a sociologist and author, asserts 10,000 hours practice are required honing your skills to be a success at anything. My Dad I know spent 10,000 hours in his shop.  He and Mom never missed a concert, ball game, or play for my brother, sister, and me. Dad spent 10,000 hours in his shop and with his family.

What does 10,000 hours look like?
Who spends that kind of time? 
Jonny Wilkinson

It is not just the hours but the quality of time spent practicing.

Gladwell recognizes sports stars such as Boris Becker, Jonny Wilkinson, Tiger Woods and the Venus sisters, who have all become world-beaters because of the obsessive devotion they have shown to their game since childhood. He says it is all about dedication to practice.


In his book, "Outliers: The Story of Success," Gladwell says that if you examine the greatest athletes, entrepreneurs, musicians and scientists you will notice they only emerged after spending at least three hours a day for ten years practicing.

'What’s really interesting about this 10,000-hour rule is that it applies virtually everywhere,”  Gladwell told a conference. 'You can’t become a chess grand master unless you spend 10,000 hours on practice."

World class performers don't always spend this 10,000 prescribed hours to perfect their craft.  Some pick up skills and are amazing performers.  They just "get it."  Some are satisfied with this initial success and even get A's, win games, and are profusely applauded. We all know friends and co-workers who are applying the 10,000 hour practice pattern with solid results.  They work faithfully at their passion. 

Geoff, one of my friends, leads a band, writes music, and plays a rockin' electric guitar with a Christian band for Prisoners for Christ and elsewhere called, "Unchained." 

Ted, another friend since 1971, has played tennis from high school and sees no reason to stop at nearly 60.  

George, a student from our church at WSU, may have even passed 10,000 hours practicing and performing on the piano with Mozart and a wide range of classical artists. 

There is a special giftedness required to persevere over a prolonged season of years.  Many celebs work with coaches who motivate, push, and encourage them through 10,000 hours or whatever it is for each.  Others are remarkably self-directed. 

At a recent Al-anon meeting, this issue of frustration over failure after trying something new came up.  We shared about feeling frozen, just like I was as a child with my Dad back all those years in his shop.   Then, one of the members changed the spin relating to discouragement and frustration.  What if we give ourselves the gift of time and practice to change "from the inside out."

There are two Bible verses that speak directly to this focus of life and how we spend the time God Himself has given each of us in His grace and mercy.

Puritan John Owen reflected on Romans 8:13 when he said,  
"Be killing sin or sin will be killing you."

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33 

"For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."   Romans 8:13

I don't have to be so hard on myself.  I don't have a deadline for character development.  I don't have to measure up.  I believe 10,000 hours is all about getting to know God deeper and deeper and living out His customized purposes for our lives. We are walking by faith every day as we are seeking to please Him. 

Geoff suggested for him it's not about his band, writing music, and practicing or playing his particular instrument.  He suggested it is spending a lifetime following Jesus, serving Him, and remaining sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit in obedience.

Now, that is a quality 10,000 hours and a quality lifetime. 

 


No comments: