Monday, October 17, 2011

Journeys from paganism

This morning, I rejoiced to watch the Lord answer my prayers right in the middle of a one-to-one with Carl at the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent. 
I met with Carl in September after another inmate encouraged me to speak with "the guy in 51." 

The referring inmate may have made a "mistake,"...but this was no mistake from God's perspective. 

Would you pray with me for Carl, this week?

                       Paganism
Carl graciously agreed to share.  He believes in "paganism," so he worships nature and follows Greek gods and attends church in Kent. I started praying, right then.

A Wiccan website reports, "In Wicca, and Paganism in general, each of the Goddess and Gods represents an ideal, a human quality, something we as people can relate to, something to engender our passions. Above the individual Gods and Goddesses are the overall principles of male and female polarity.  Nothing happens in the Universe without this flow of Energy between polarities. Above even this personification is the Universal Power.  It’s very difficult to focus on this Power, however, so we invoke human-like deities to summon." 
                                                  Praying
In that first meeting, I didn't open my Bible. I suggested I would be pleased to meet with him as often as he would like and would listen to whatever he wanted to talk about. He suggested he would like to meet often.  I began to pray for Carl regularly. He sits in proximity to an active small group Bible study fellowship group of inmates and so is carefully watching and listening.  We said hello and smiled several times.

                                       ...and Jesus
As I continued praying, I was very mindful of the incredible words of Jesus in John 6.

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” ~John 6:35-40


This morning, there was a kite request for a visit waiting for me from Carl.  I began to pray and headed for his unit. 
                                             ...and listening
As I went in to visit Carl, I wanted to be a great listener and practice "spiritual direction" principles I appreciate from Eugene Peterson, the editor of the Message Bible, a retired Presbyterian pastor, author, and Regents Seminary professor. 

spiritual journeys
"I have two basic definitions of spiritual direction," Peterson wrote. "One is you show up and then you shut up. It’s important that people have a place they can come to and know that you’re going to be there with and for them. The other is that spiritual direction largely involves what you do when you don’t think you’re doing anything. In other words, you’re not trying to solve a problem. You’re not answering a question and it doesn’t seem like you’re doing anything. It takes a lot of restraint and discipline for a pastor not to say anything, not to do anything. But the pastoral life is an ideal school for learning how to do it."


So is being a chaplain

Carl shared right away he is unhappy.  He observed the Christians carefully and that they seem happy despite their circumstances and asked my opinion why they are different than him. That is almost exactly what he said.  The other guys are shining with the joy and light of Jesus.

I asked him questions around what he is feeling and what he is like in his life outside of jail.  He has never been in jail before. He has received a few visits but, "my pagan church ex-communicated me because they don't like people who get in trouble or are in jail."

                                ...and struggles
I reflected some Christians struggle with significant depressions and discouragement as much as anyone else and that some families and churches don't know what to do when family and friends are incarcerated.  I tried to keep quiet but he pressed me about what Christians have. 

I kept praying, now, for the right words and the clear leading of the Holy Spirit. Clearly, Carl is in the midst of spiritual warfare.
                                                     
                                   ...and speaking
I shared Christians believe in a living God who loves us and saves us from our sins.  I also shared Christians read the Bible, God's message for us, and care for each other.  I kept it that simple.  He was still listening.

Before our time concluded, I left him with a simple "spiritual journey inventory" brochure for him to review and answer follow-up questions for him to think about or write out.  We agreed to meet later this week.  I also suggested he grab a Bible and start reading the Gospel of John. Later that day, he was sitting with some of the Christian inmates.
 

I am actively praying the Lord will  draw Carl to Himself for salvation.  Maybe, you have a friend to pray for, as well.












No comments: