Thursday, October 27, 2011

Come to the Living God

Carl's life is reeling
The Lord appears to be opening up Carl's heart as I visit with him at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent.

Carl attended a pagan church since he was 13. At 22, that church ex-communicated him from their fellowship. That experience left him reeling. 

I left him with a "spiritual journey inventory" so he could evaluate his life in the quiet of his cell.

                                Come right where you are
Right from the beginning, he was relaxed and ready to talk.  He read and interacted with me about it openly.  From the inventory, he started by acknowledging:
"faith in Biblical Christianity is "OK for others but not for him"
            "not certain a living God exists"
                           "willing to seek some answers individually." 

That is not where we ended. Once again, this entire experience needed to be fully submerged in prayer.

                             Come with  others
He continues to sit at circular tables with a number of the believing men but has cautious and limited spiritual conversation with them.  His form of paganism stands on feelings, the worship of nature, and the pantheon of Greek gods.  His dad is a Roman Catholic and his mom has a Christian background.

As I approached him before, I kept quiet and asked him questions and encouraged him to share more with me, as he uncovered his feelings and beliefs. It was clear in all three of our visits a major issue is him coming to grips with the reality of the existence of God.

He has not read the Bible but listens to a group of inmates who share Bible study sometimes several times each day.  He is watching what they say and how they live.

                              Come to the Living God
I asked if I could read some Scripture about God from Acts 17.  In the middle of my reading, I asked if he wanted me to continue and he was eager following along with a King James Bible.

"So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: “Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you.  

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. 

Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, for
    “‘In him we live and move and have our being’ as even some of your own poets have said, “‘For we are indeed his offspring.'"     ~Acts 17:22-28 ESV

He was listening carefully.  After my reading, I asked what it said about God.  He recognized it said a God created man and places people where He wants them.  I didn't coach that answer.

I kept listening.  He wants to thank the person who asked me to talk with him if he would approach him.  He carefully placed the KJ Bible on top of mine watching my response.

"I don't want to be rude but you brought it for another man and I'm not quite ready for it, yet.  ...I think I will be in just a little while." 


                           Come to quench your heart thirst
I asked if I could read one more short passage I thought would be helpful in his thinking.  He agreed so I turned to Isaiah 55:1-3--

1 Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters;

and he who has no money, come, buy and eat.

Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.


2 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy?

Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food.


Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live;

and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David.

                           Come to the One who loves you
I shared simply this:
"Come to JESUS!"
"Carl, God really loves you,  I know you have many questions and unresolved issues in your life.  There is a whole lot going on.  In everything, Jesus invites you to come to Him.  He just says, Carl, come."

Silence filled the room for a short instant.  He whispered, "Wow!"

I invited him to talk to and ask questions with the others around the tables. We agreed to get together again in the next few days. 

2 comments:

Cal Redmond said...

Awesome encounter, Mark. Great use of your Bible and allowing God to speak to him and through you.

gailmarie said...

God bless you and all that you do, Mark. I will continue to pray for Carl and will wait on the day you will post that he has turned from Satan to Jesus Christ in fullness of heart.