Wednesday, June 17, 2009

guilty verdict and full day


Wow! What a day. The accused inmate I have been supporting was ruled guilty by the jury which really surprised me. He will be sentenced in a month. I was the first person he saw in the late afternoon. Honestly, I still believe he is innocent. He was sick and "out of it" most of the day. He has a multitude of questions for the Lord. I told him I would, as well. I affirmed my genuine love for him. We read Deuteronomy 1:29-31 about the LORD carrying Israel through the wilderness. I exhorted him to let the LORD carry him, right now. He was a Christian when all this happened and has maintained a faithful witness in his unit. My role is to walk with him while he remains at the RJC, regardless of what unfolds.

I had a packed day meeting with other inmates, including two 19 year-olds. One I met with before who has gang affiliations. Another man struggling with meth addiction wanted to know about the wickedness of Satan. In the midst of all this during my afternoon break, I carefully read the "70 resolutions," by Jonathan Edwards which really focused my heart.


Then I said to you, ‘Do not be in dread or afraid of them. The Lord your God who goes before you will himself fight for you, just as he did for you in Egypt before your eyes, and in the wilderness, where you have seen how the Lord your God carried you, as a man carries his son, all the way that you went until you came to this place.’ Deut. 1:29-31

No comments: