Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fasting and praying for missions and men

I find myself reinvigorated for rich ministry in our local church.  These are the greatest days ever for fruitful ministry.  I meet with various men, multiple ages, around our church.  The Prisoners for Christ ministry at the RJC is with men.  

I am anticipating what the Lord is doing around us, right now.  I am awed and astonished at what He is opening up.  What should our focus be as men?  What should I be giving myself to? 

The world is packed with self-esteem and goals for men.  1 Timothy 4 puts it right on the line, especially for men who are serving with other men.  We are to meditate on profitable godliness.  

I am to "give myself entirely" to live out and teach these things.

 Fasting and praying around our missions trip
Rwanda team

Around my short-term missions trip to and around Rwanda, the dates are settled in as November 8-20.  I am still working on the support process.  I am sending out e-mails and asking the Lord for right contacts. 

In all this, other team members have greater needs than I do.  I am moving squarely into fasting and prayer for our awesome PFC missions team and my own needs.


                         Mentoring ministry with men
I met with Pastor Aaron Bauer, our youth pastor at Faith Baptist, about mentoring senior high and college-aged young men.  Going through right steps of accountability is a significant step for myself and hopefully a model for others.  

Young, middle, senior saints are to be examples as we speak, conduct our daily lives, love one another, live with heart enthusiasm spirit, experience faith, and walk in purity in the power and fullness of the Holy Spirit.My life should be full of godly instruction that is real--for myself and others.  These are things I should be regularly teaching at the Regional Justice Center.

Pastor Aaron Bauer
1 Timothy 4 starts out with, "The Spirit expressly says," depicting six things that happen when people depart from the faith.  It's a hot list. The last one is about abstaining from certain foods.  I remember hearing about that one from a group that used to meet near Normandy Park.  One of their attenders even asked me about  their practices.

We are repeatedly exhorted that "godliness is profitable for all things."  We trust in the Living God.  My, our, progress must be clearly witnessed by all. Give careful attention to sanctification.  Exercise the gift God has entrusted to you. These are a faithful sayings and worthy of full acceptance. 

The saints are to receive all our food with thanksgiving as those who believe and know the truth.  Our eating is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. I am to instruct in these things.

Every teacher of the word of God, whatever our vocation, is to be nourished in the words of faith and good doctrine.  We are to carefully follow these things in a spirit of believing heart obedience.  

 I am reminded to concentrate on reading the word, exhortation, and careful understanding and application of doctrine.

No comments: