Saturday, October 2, 2010

Jim Parque living the dream at Faith

Jim Parque at BLE in Auburn
Jim Parque, former major league pitcher, spoke on "living the dream," at the men's breakfast at Faith Baptist Church on Saturday, October 2. 

Jim is the owner of Big League Edge in Auburn, a baseball developmental school that serves about 3,000 athletes and coaches each year. 

Jim is 34 and is married with two girls.  He and his family live in Puyallup and attend a Foursquare church.  His six year major league career included time with Tampa Bay, the Chicago White Sox, and Arizona.  

His most productive years were 1998-2000.  He blew out his left shoulder with Chicago as the starting pitcher in a 2000 American League Division Series playoff game loss against John Olerud and the Mariners. 

In his message, Jim said, "God taught me if I listen to Him, He will provide.  I learned no matter what I do, He loves me."

Jim recounted a brief overview of his career and said, I didn't take care of the gifts God gave me.  "I took HGH steroids.  Part of the path God took me on was to come out and be honest. He said to me, OK, do it your way.  Then, I blew my arm out when my career was at its highest, I was 14-5, and pitching in the playoffs. Through several events, He took everything away from me I thought was most important. I was very confident in sports but I learned I can fail."

"Failure is good," he concluded, "because I learn a different kind of big strength out of relying on Him for everything.  As I am intense about praying every day, I am asking Him to lead me.  I have learned everything is Yours so I give Him everything."

No comments: