Sunday, November 21, 2010

Genocide Museum

Genocide Museum
On our first day in Kigali, Rwanda on Monday, November 9, our PFC team visited the national genocide museum. My tour was conducted with Pastor Bernarde and Pastor John, both who lost direct family members.

During our eight full days of direct ministry, we visited seven prisons and conducted one conference in Rwanda and Burundi.  The actual travel time is about 40 hours each way, including layovers in the airports.

I will write about the awesome time I shared with Rachel Jacobs in Burundi and how we connected perfectly.  She is doing great!

I will write more about Bernarde and John in future days.

The genocide began in April of 1994 and continued through 1999. A great many of the inmates we preached to across Rwanda and Burundi were imprisoned for their roles.

Between 800,000 and one million were slaughtered--many from within families. The disaster left two million orphans. Uncounted babies and small children were killed or left permanently and severely wounded. It was all during a season of widespread turmoil across Africa.

I didn't cry while I was walking through. I was too profoundly impacted.  I was taught we learn from history. We learn from history only if we want to.  I was asking many questions.

The adversary's evil takes full advantage of every opportunity  "to steal, kill, and destroy," John 10:10a.

The watching world stood by and remained inactive despite repeated pleas for help from the United Nations.

No comments: