Friday, July 24, 2009

Clinging to Him


This year, I am using the Robert Murray McCheyne Bible reading plan along with D. A. Carson's book, "For the love of God," devotions connected to the McCheyne readings.

I am in the opening chapters of Jeremiah dealing with God's reasons for sending Israel and Judah into exile. Amidst these chapters are incredible stimulation to stand firm in the Lord.

Jeremiah 13:11 says, "For as the loincloth clings to the waist of a man, so I made the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah cling to me, declares the Lord, that they might be for me a people, a name, a praise, and a glory, but they would not listen."

In God's incredible love and mercy, He makes His people cling to Him. We cling to Him that we might be for Him a people, name, praise, and glory for Him. So, God's purpose for my life is to rejoice in clinging to Him. My daily response is to listen to Him, or obey His commands and leadings of the Holy Spirit. Friday, I heard a great line from Randy Alcorn--never postpone obedience. Listening to the Lord requires prompt obedience.

This Sunday, I will join Wayne and Jim in a concert at the Yakima County Jail. We'll be in a covered outdoor facility that could be really hot. Once before, it was sweltering and yet the Lord blessed richly. The men and women have been remarkably encouraging to us.

I'd love to hear about the blessings you are receiving in your Bible readings.

No comments: