Monday, May 2, 2011

Snatched seeds

What happens to the seed?
Some evangelism seems to fall flat.  In the parable of the seed, sower and soil, Jesus paints a word picture of the message of salvation falling on rocky soil and eaten by birds.

"The sower sows the word. And these are the ones along the path, where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them."  Mark 4:14-15

The word snatched away by Satan, according to Mark's account.  We don't know the whole story when the Lord gives us opportunities to evangelize.  The snatching represents front line spiritual warfare.

We may also be:
  • watering the soil
  • fertilizing the soil
  • loosening up the soil 
Isaiah presents another very strong assurance as each of us faithfully presents the seed, the message of truth.
“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth,making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:10-11

Dan, a member of our Chaplaincy Advisory Group at the RJC, recently requested I follow-up with Mike, an inmate at the Regional Justice Center in Kent.  Dan also meets with inmates at the RJC as a member of a local church in Kent.

Mike apparently requested to be moved to participate in Bible study and fellowship in his unit.
He received materials from me when I met with him, the first time. He was very brief and not enthusiastic.  Mike told me he was a new believer and just beginning during our first visit.

I suggested Felipe, next cell, follow-up to encourage him and see where it might go.  He reported Mike expressed feeling pressured and wanted to find his way on his own.  He did not want help.
God faithfully uses His word for His glory

I met with Mike a second time, last week.  He was less enthusiastic than the first time.  He had not read any of the materials I gave him, nor his Bible, and felt like my visits were too much pressure.  He denied  wanting to have Bible study and fellowship, from the beginning.  

I actively pray for Mike and others like him. Dan believes he responded favorably to the message of salvation, earlier.


He is free to send me a request for a visit or share with another chaplain should he be interested.

No comments: