Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Where we were on 9-11

  • flag raising on 9-11-200
    Can you recall where you were on September 11, 2001 when you learned of the multiple attacks in New York and Washington D.C.?

    Our radio alarm was set for 5:45 A.M. and as it clicked on, we heard the KIRO news report of the first plane flying into the World Trade Center.  We needed confirmation as it all was surreal.  We turned on the TV news and shortly thereafter saw the report of the second airplane.  It looked like some kind of animation.

    We learned of the Pentagon crash and a Todd Beamer flight that crashed in a Pennsylvania field, perhaps headed for the White House, or who knew where.  Was there more?

    There was a video of Usama bin Laden claiming credit for the attack.  I remember an aide whispered in the ear of President Bush as he visited an elementary school classroom. 

    Here is a YouTube video as President was informed of the attack:
    Read to Suceed on 9-11 with the President


    The world stage was changing as we knew it and we had no idea what future implications might be. Katharine and I were dazed. I am not rejoicing over this political assassination of bin Laden.  His actions and life were evil.  He faces an eternity separated from the mercy and love of God in hell. That sickens me.

    We must pray faithfully over the next days, weeks, and months.  Draw near to the Lord Jesus.  Speak to others about Jesus.  Walk in His love.

    What can we learn about what the Lord God thinks about all these things?

    "At the end of the days I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High, and praised and honored him who lives forever, for his dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom endures from generation to generation; all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, 'What have you done?' "   Daniel 4:34-35
    Attack at the Twin Towers

    I asked Facebook friends.  Here is what others shared:

    Greg Benton said,"I too was relieved and somewhat rejoicing that justice had been done. I was on the U.S.S. Constellation on 9/11 between Hawaii and San Diego."



    "I was immediately sobered on Sunday night when I heard on the radio that there was joyful celebrating over the death of OBL. Somehow it seemed like celebrating would not be something Jesus would have been doing, "Marcia Ruark said. 


     Lynn reminded Marcia of Ezekiel 33:11, "As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their wicked ways and live."

    Chris Sherry: "I was just barely out of high school and fell asleep with the TV on and woke up to the news coverage. I was dating someone in the military at the time and our entire household literally disappeared for a few days after reporting for PT that... morning. (3 room mates out of 5 of us living there were in the military!) 


    "I am both relieved and rejoicing at the same time. Not rejoicing for someone's death, but rejoicing for the closure that so many families have been waiting for. While this may or may not end the war in the middle east, this will definitely bring peace to so many families that have had to go on living without their loved ones, and for THAT I rejoice! :)"

      "I was relieved," Mary Vance Nasvik said, "but not joyous. I wonder about retaliation."

    "We were in Manila," Cal Redmond wrote, "and because it was 12 hours different than Eastern time, I had fallen asleep. My wife woke me up, showed me CNN on our cable, and then I woke up and realized what happened. After the first plane, I thought maybe it could be a horrible accident, but after second plane, I knew it was terrorist action. People in Manila I didn't know extended their sympathy to me as an American for about 2 weeks."

"Although I know he was dangerous and full of hatred," Gail Morris reflected, "I could never  rejoice in anyone's death, especially when I know he will burn in hell. I would rather they had captured him instead and imprisoned him. But they had to do what they had to do under the circumstances. Just can't rejoice in it."

No comments: