Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rebuilding lives at Standing Stones

Men with furniture
"I am really at a different place than when you first met me," Cam shared, "back in September.  I am amazed at what has happened.  I needed to go through so much."

Cam is one of the six men enrolled in Wapato at the Standing Stones Ministries.  I am teaching, mentoring, and encouraging at the Christ-based transitional living home at the invitation of Director Dave Garton, this week. 

I first taught at Standing Stones last September and was so moved myself I needed to return.  I'll receive 100-fold more than I give.

Wilson woodwork
Cam is joined by Freddy, Jim, Michael, Glenn, and Wilson.  They receive participate in a 10-month orientation, regeneration, inner healing, and discipleship training adapted from the Dunklin Memorial Camp in Florida and in in cooperation with Prisoners for Christ. 

Wilson and Cam will be graduating on July 9. Cam will return to his wife and 2 year-old daughter back home. Wilson will return to the Tacoma area.
living waters




"for my people have committed two evils:
they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters,

and hewed out cisterns for themselves, 
broken cisterns that can hold no water." 
Jeremiah 2:13

Today, I taught through ways the Scripture teaches us to seek His living water from Jeremiah 2:13.  Tonight, we'll explore a story about a rich young man who balked at what Jesus shared with him from Luke 18:18-25.

Wealth and His Kingdom
18 And a ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 19 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 20 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” 21 And he said, “All these I have kept from my youth.” 22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 23 But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. 24 Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, “How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! 25 For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”
Michael in vermaculture center

The men build reclaimed propwood and wine barrel stave furniture to supplement the financial needs of the ministry.  While working, they strengthen communication, following directions, team-building, and self-esteem success orientation for future employment.

Each man has an amazing life story.  Michael is building and tending a terraced multiple vegetable garden for gravity irrigation walls with stones for directing water.  He's also establishing and overseeing a vermaculture composting food recycling center. It will produce organic soil and liquid tea.

No comments: