Sunday, June 26, 2011

So many other things

Michael said, "I am spiritual and talk about faith when I am in jail, but as soon as I get out, I just go back to my old ways.  I drink a lot and it gets me in trouble all over again."

Vince and Michael challenged me with a mix of honest and evasive responses about making real changes during my visits at the Maleng Regional Justice Center (MRJC) in Kent, this week. 

Many are indifferent or do the "Sarasota or Saskatoon Shuffle" to avoid interaction.  They are too tired or stay in bed.  They get their coffee stirred, laugh to cover their discomfort, talk to other inmates, watch a video...play cards, or are embroiled in a hot dominoes competition at one of the tables. 

Just like so many in every church or at our jobs, they are too busy to talk.   They aren't ready.

Vince wanted to get his life turned around but needed a Bible.  He didn't even know what the Gospel of John is.  I provided a New King James and "Anchor for the soul," by Ray Pritchard.  When I came back the next day, he told me somebody took his books.

Honestly, I almost walked away but the Lord spoke to my heart about loving this man and i provided a second set for him and suggested he put them in his room.

The next day, he was too... whatever ... to talk.

He may be at the MRJC next week or just could be released.  He has the books and I suggested John 3, 10, and 14.  We might talk.  I'd love to share the Romans Road, a Bible story, or lay out John 3:1-21 with him.

He might talk with another chaplain.  He's workin' the phones to get bailed out and likes to appear real smooth.  I'm available but am not chasing him.

Michael may be 19, now, and has been in the MRJC at least three times in about 18 months.  We have met numerous times.  A couple of other chaplains met with him, during past visits.  He is like so many.  He gets spiritual when he comes to jail but falls back to old ways upon release.  Over and over.  The alcohol and drugs call.  I share that naturally in the flesh their noses know the old pathways.

In our previous one-on-ones, I recalled Michael struggles with basic decoding reading skills.  He's probably a first or second grade reader.   Oral Bible storytelling was exactly right for him.  I told him the story of when the rich young man met Jesus in Mark 10:17-22--

And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”  
Young man and Jesus

And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’”  

And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.”  

And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. 

As I told Michael the story, he listened really intently.  He was getting it.  He retold the story through about two-thirds of it and was eager to listen as we read the actual text. In the interchange, Mark recorded that Jesus loved him and told him he "lacked one thing."  Jesus was also sad.  This guy had really important great possessions.  He was wealthy.

Youth alcoholism
I asked Michael what he might be lacking.

"When I get out, I start right back in with drinking and other things," he confessed.

So many "want God" if it gets them out of jail.

I asked him about a spiritual disconnect. 

Like the rich man and Jesus, Michael said he doesn't want to give up a lifestyle and group of people he spends time drinking with.  He goes back to what he knows.  He hasn't attended church, isn't aware of any people who are Christians, doesn't go to AA or Celebrate Recovery type groups, and doesn't talk to anyone about his struggles. 

Michael acknowledged he keeps on living his old life that he is most comfortable with because that is what he has done for a long time.  The Lord is not caught off-guard about any of these things.  Jesus loved the wealthy man.  He loves the poor man and the alcoholic.

Michael and I may talk again, soon.  He was touched when I shared that like the rich guy in the story, Jesus loves him, as well.







No comments: