Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Unchecked and unguarded

Very uncomfortable things happen in daily life when my flesh is unchecked and my tongue is unguarded.  That is a recipe for disastrous results.

On June 10-12, I am traveling with "Unchained" on a concert tour to prisons and Union Gospel Missions in eastern Washington and Oregon. On July 9-15, Katharine and I are scheduled to go with our Faith Student Ministries team to Fort Macleod and Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada.  In November, I am scheduled for another PFC missions trip to India, led by Greg Von Tobel.

Four principles stick with me from our PFC African missions trip training last summer and then what I lived out in November as we traveled to Rwanda and Berundi. Perhaps, we can learn together as you read this.

First, everything is exaggerated "on the field."
exhausted and stressed
We are in a spiritual battle that is physically, emotionally, and spiritually demanding. We can expect to be overwhelmed by the enormity of needs witnessed on the field.  Our reactions to what happens can get twisted and warped.

Humble and considerate team members take care of one another.  We give each other space but are careful  about isolation. We are always "on stage" and being observed.  What is my daily fruit with my team, our hosts, and those we are serving?  Who am I really in public and private? 

"Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."  1 Corinthians 10:12-13
Second, die to self. 
I struggled in this area as my personal expectations were not met.   I complained about some of the conditions, food, and even the roads in front of host nationals.  

I corrected my words but one of my lifelong lessons is that once words are spoken they cannot be retracted.  My only entitlement is to experience God working in my life and to get home safely.  I experienced those things 100-fold!

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Third, consider stresses as either irritations, offenses, or hills to die on. 
An irritation is a personal disturbance that should be dropped.  At that point, suck it up and extend grace.  Then, in the humble Christ-like spirit, keep on extending more grace.  

"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus..."
Philippians 2:1-5  

An offense arouses anger, displeasure and resentment.  It is an affront that outrages perceived sensibilities.   An offense requires a Matthew 18 chain of procedures to win peaceful reconciliation with the offender 1-to-1, with two or three witnesses, and before the large group.  This is not a lynching but to secure godly peace and continued fruitful ministry.

Hills to die on need to be prayerfully considered.  Great prudence needs to be exercised. These are places where I really might find it cost me a great deal and may take me farther than I want to go and cost more than I want to pay. There are virtually no hills to die on, really, when I die to self.  With that in mind, extending grace appears really right before the Lord and the people He surrounds me with.  

Fourth, guard my tongue carefully.
The tongue sets fires
I could say I am amazed at what I say, what "falls out," but I am not amazed at all, based on my own failed experiences in numerous other places. When I am off-guard, my tongue can go way out of control.  

James says great forest fired are set by unguarded  tongues.  Ungodly words spread, tear down, stink, cause illness, and are hard to correct.  Ungodly words cut deep into the hearts of our hearers.  

ship rudder
"Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs.  So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell."  
James 3:4-7

No comments: